Ray Allen's 8 Tips for the Success of Young People
1) RECOGNIZE GREATNESS
– Who cares about an autograph, or an Instagram pic. If you see a famous great person in public take that 1 minute to ask them a Question. A QUESTION on what makes them great. How did you get great? What is your routine? Can you send me steps I could take to become GREAT?
SUCESS LEAVES FOOTPRINTS SO FOLLOW THEM!
2) EMBRACE YOUR NORMAL. WORK TO BE ABNORMAL
– Your “normal” you will be born with. But your “ABNORMAL” that people will call talent and greatness, YOU WILL HAVE TO WORK ON. Ray was 6’4″ and skinny. “BUT I HAD WORK and PURPOSE”. This separated him. Every day, every year he had A PURPOSE. This kept him focused and on track in middle school and HS.
At about 9th grade Ray started this JOURNEY.
3) RAYS #1 VALUE FOR SUCCESS IS AVAILABILITY, AVAILABILITY, AVAILABILITY!
– This is Ray Allen’s #1 KEY TO SUCESS
– As a human being you have to take care of your body! You can’t be there if you’re hurt, sick, or in hospital! You lose by just your sheer absence.
– EAT RIGHT AND SLEEP! YOUR BODY IS A LAMBORGHINI, FERRARI OR Dump truck.
– Ray puts good gas in his my car. He doesn’t do drugs or alcohol. “AND NO BODY TOLD ME TO DO THAT. THAT WAS ON ME. My life was School, Family, and Basketball. Because I wanted to be great at Basketball.”
– Everything mentioned above , NOW DO IT EVERY DAY. Do it on bad days. Do it on good days. Do it when the haters and critics are trying to distract you. Do it when your enemies are trying to distract you . Do it when you doubt your self. Do it when you are full of yourself.
5) RESPECT YOUR ROLE
MODELS – Do Your Job!
– “John Stockton was the Hardest player I ever had to play against. He had the biggest HEART. His plays were never on ESPN, but he was one of the best guards to ever play. He did his job everyday. Why is he great? You can Count on Him! HE DID HIS JOB! He did the simple little things. He had simplicity and consistency.”
– So embrace competition. It makes you better, tougher, stronger. “Paul Pierce and I used to go at it in one on one battles. Competition gets you to the next level and pushes you to be your best”.
6) LOVE YOUR TEAM.
– Be a great teammate. Hang with them when you win, and lose. COMMIT AND THEY DO TOO. But when the whole team is committed they are hard to stop!!
7) Be Persistent
– When you fail and mess up GET TO THE NEXT DAY. GET TO THE NEXT SITUATION. Keep getting after it. Don’t dwell or feel sorrow for yesterday. Don’t carry that negativity with you .
Remember this, you may mess up and fail today but if you get up and keep working with a positive attitude then you are ALREADY A WINNER BECAUSE YOU CONTINUE TO FIGHT.
8) SURROUND YOUR SELF WITH GOOD PEOPLE
– Don’t hang with people that always tell you what you want to hear. Surround yourself with people who will educate you and help you get better. Be in tune with your heart. Your heart will tell you what to do. The less negativity and distraction you have in your life, the more you can feel” your heart.