MJ and I have really enjoyed this Summers Olympics. After workouts we race straight to the Restraunt or hotel to catch the Games. Its exciting! We can feel the anxiety and stress that these athletes go through. It is Powerful the Pressures that they feel and deal with. All good because it molds them into great people when they retire from their sport. The entire process of the Olympic Training and competing experience lasts with these athletes their entire Lives. We as people, leaders, basketball coaches ,and players can learn from this. My thoughts are below.
USA Basketball Team
- I have to admit , I have only caught a quarter of each game. My traveling and working schedule is INSANE but I did have a chance to watch the 4th quarter of France game and 2nd half of Tunsinia game. I will go out on a limb here and predict the team will win the Gold! They are too athletic on defense and too many weapons on offense. Coach K’s spirit and enthusiasm will not let those players get Stale either.
- A thought that comes to mind is HOW MUCH FUN those guys Have playing together! I saw it first hand a month ago in Vegas when I witnessed their 2 nd practice. Now on a Global Stage it is refreshing to see.
•Teammates Cheering for each other, the Entire Game
•Teammates Sprinting to Pick One another off the floor when they get hurt. Ex: K. Love banged knees with a Tunsinia player and 6 of the guys off the bench took KL to the bench.
•Teammates excited for each others accomplishments. EX: Anthony Davis dunked on an Elbow Pic n Roll and the entire team “Touched him” acknowledged him in the next time out Andre’ Ig “Monkey Dunked” a follow up rebound and the Entire Bench went “Nuts” , truly excited about their teammates special play!!!
•Energy and SPIRIT is off the charts! How ironic is this. During the year , these guys Hate each other , beat each other and now they love and “will die” for each other!! Its a beautiful thing! Great lessons to be learned here for younger teams!
•Coach K, whether he is up by 20 or up by 2 his Presence is Incredible. Stone Cold eyes of a Lion, commands the attention of his players. All look him on the eye, his body language when he instructs is perfect. Head back , chest out, eye contact, perfect timing of touches! Balanced emotion. This may sound corny to yall but the way you cary your self as a coach, Your Presence is everything!!
Womens USA Gymnastics – Jordyn Wieber, McKayla Maroney, Kyla Ross, Gabrielle Douglas, Aly Raisman
I really love watching these athletes. WOW! Here is what I have noticed
• ALL of them have an unchangeable drive to be #1. They know NOT to accept 2nd when 1st is available. I mean 2nd to them is failing!
• They strive every to OUTWORK others- this is super hard to do. It seems like ALL the athletes Work their tails off
•They can bounce back(no pun intended) when they fail. They realize that its not sometimes how hard you hit, its how hard you can get hit, how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done and that’s what Jordyn Wieber did. Had a heartbreaking lost, then came back and helped her Team win the gold!
• They Handle the Stress and Pressure Motivates them not Melts them. Meaning when they perform their routine they have nerves of steel. Focused not rattled. They execute and Produce. What they perfected in practice is what they perfected in the Olympic Competition. You see, they feel the nerves but don’t get Nervous! They feel the fear but don’t get Fearful! They feel the Fatigue but don’t get tired! They are World Champions! We all can learn from them!
•All Time greatest swimmers, Period! A machine!! 19 Medals! Why?
•Body is Immune to Pain. To weakness. From his thoughts to his body, he does not let Soft become part of his spirit or DNA. To him he welcomes Pain, its weakness leaving his Body.
•He finds a Way to Get Past Hard! To get through Boredom and the Monotony of Practice. I swam for a club team from age 6- 14. I know first hand what boredom is, swim practice. I broke many records and some say I could have been an Olympic hopeful but I HATED the practice. Its sad how a lot of young kids who play sports HATE their practice. Michael Phelps can teach all young athletes “its the journey to the destination that you must Conquer just as much as the Battle itself”.
•Finally what GREAT shape he and his
Teammates were are in. All the athletes are some of the most well oiled body machines on the planet. Wow! All athletes on all levels should make training their body a priority. It saddens me and frustrates me how players and adults can let their bodies go to crap. The Olympians are an inspiration to me!
Train your body , train your Mind, Daily!! Wake up, Go Hard!!
Chronological Age vs Maturational Age
It is amazing how young the majority of the athletes are. The swimmers and Gymnasts especially are so young. Teenagers executing highly advanced motor and coordination exercises. It just goes to show you that with a lot of repetition, practice and desire to not quit, you will become a Master.
Remember R.E.P.S is Repetition Elevates Personal Skill!!
You can find Inspiration in the Olympics! What are you waiting for!!